Kitwana’s lecture was pretty good and I enjoyed him, until my friend asked him a question about you. He said that he thought that you and the other Spelman women had other motives for doing what you did, and that it solved NOTHING. Basically he said some of the same things that you said Chuck D said about you and the other Spelman women. A lot of the black women there became disappointed by his comments. Another one of my friends stated to me that she had to read his book on the Hip-Hop generation in her class, and he contradicts himself throughout the whole book; I guess I will have to read it. I do not know if Kitwana knows that much about Hip-Hop in the first place, because he did not know that Jean Grae plays to a predominately white crowd; he even seemed shocked to hear that.
In my NAACP meeting a long time ago, we talked about the “Nelly” incident and many did feel that he was doing a “good” thing and that you and the other women were selfish, because most of the members there “speculated” that all of you are rich kids and what does it matter to you, because all of you are in the black elite anyway, so it shouldn’t matter. Its kind of like when Michele Wallace wrote “The Black Women and the Myth of the Superwoman” and she got all of that back lash for it, because she was not in the same socioeconomic status as the black women she wrote about. Personally, I was happy to hear that some black women had such respect for themselves that they would not have a man who depicted his own sisters in a degrading way. It’s a shame that some people do not look at it that way.
1 comment:
do you take blog topic requests?
amy
Post a Comment