Thursday, February 24, 2005

Delta steals, VH1's racist,and CNN sucks!

The BF's (my friends from my first year days plus Cate) participated in Delta's Campus MovieFest by creating a short, a no more than 5 min. movie about how good goes around. Being the fabulous creative people that they are, their movie "the gooooooood squad" was chosen to be a finalist in the citywide competition (which is mysteriously missing from the website, now). Though the city competition hasn't happened, I imagine they will place pretty high b/c delta ripped off their movie for their new commercial! It's quite an ingenous way not to pay an advertising agency and get some fresh ideas. To the BF's congrats once again, sorry your work has been consumed by the corporate machine and repackaged as their own.

Race o rama continues to teeter b/w an effort to prove racial stereotypes true and insightful provocative commentary on race relations in this country. I was especially upset during the Blackaphobia episode where they said people should be scared of black women b/c they have attitude. "A black woman will tell you what your doing wrong. " If your doing wrong someone needs to tell you! We're just supposed to be silent? Are white women silent? I hate that!! Plus I think that's faulty anyway. If black women are so outspoken, so assertive and agressive, why are we still getting beaten by the men our lives, stayin' with men who cheat on us, can't get the men we are with to use condoms so we don't get HIV and die?

The one thing that I did think was interesting during In Race We Lust, was the the idea of black women and asian men, the most undesirable people to bed and wed, getting together and having some blasian children. Maybe Mr. Will Yun Lee and I can make that fashionable : )


This reporter from cnn calls yesterday on my cell phone and says "So tell me about the Nelly protest." If she had done her research, i.e. read the article I wrote that Spelman sent her, she would have had the answer to every question she asked. She clearly had an agenda and wanted me to answer these questions in a certain way. She wanted to imply that "tip drill" was the spark that ignited my activism, that this was the first action of women taking a stand against misogynistic music. I was uncompromising and I think she just kind of gave up. Then she says they want to come early, do some shots of me getting ready to do the panel "You know doing your hair, getting ready in your room, chilling with your friends . . ." What?! First of all I don't "do" my hair, secondly if I don't clean my room for my friends, I'm certainly not cleaning it for CNN, and who says "chilling?" I told her I didn't feel comfortable with doing something in my dorm room."Why?"

I explained that it was a group effort and that my being singled out doesn't reflect all the women who were involved in making this happen. She tried to argue that "people need to see you washing your hair and getting ready so they can relate to you." She seemed to be semi-obsessed with my hair; I supposed she assumed that b/c I'm black it must be relaxed so it's gonna take me some time to do it? I once again said that I didn't feel confortable. She snapped at me then "Well we don't have to talk to you if your going to be uncomfortable," like I should be apologetic for missing this opportunity to have an interview with CNN. I told her she should get in touch with Asha then b/c I was sure she'd have no problems being followed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole concept seems problematic to me...when are we going to stop generalizing everything. I don't want to hear "black women do..." "black men do..." "white women do..." anymore. None of those groups are homogenous. I don't do what they do and that's okay...even if i am a black woman/black man/white woman and, therefore, an automatic member of the group. Why does membership in a group have to mean everyone is the same?

MB said...

i totally agree

jb said...

is it bad that laughed out loud to this? Its both absurd and frigteningly predictable. Few could maintain there integrity like you in the glare of the media.
-j "no on can reach me" b

RobynGail said...

way to go Moya...on giving the real answers and not answers cnn wants to hear...though it would have been funny if they taped you doing your hair and you just did what you normally do...though they probably wouldn't have aired it since you "don't do your hair" but as far as i'm concerned..."doing one's hair" doesn't have to involve a comb or a brush or chemicals of any sort.... whatever you do to your hair...be it nothing or something is "doing your hair"....

oh yea...i saw asha on cnn this morning and wondered why they didn't show you...but your post answered all my questions...