Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Dude, Where's My Ghetto Pass?

Race-o-Rama was pretty ignorant. I mean they sucked me in with Black in the '80's so my guard was down. So here are my top 10 reasons for hating Dude where's my ghetto pass

1. the tips for being ghetto, i.e. find the nearest x-walk, and do chin ups on the light post
2. the very premise that the ghetto is once again touted as authentic blackness
3. they were giving passes to people, like giving them the black people's approval with a ghetto pass?! Do black people even say ghetto pass?
4. They took away people's ghetto passes (poor JT), because cultural co-option and physically going to the slums are the same thing?
5. the stupid debate over who would win in a show down between the hamburger helper hand and the black power fist (I don't know why people even entertained that question)
6. they had four women commenting out of like 25 people
7. the only discussion of women was in terms of black women having bigger butts than white women, which has nothing to do with the ghetto!
8. Michael Eric Dyson over bell? really VH1?
9. They actually asked if the trailor park was the new ghetto!
10. that the once mighty Mos is letting them put his music in a Denali Commercial?!

Things I liked . . .
1. Aaron McGrudder was killin' it with the commentary

These shows are dangerous b/c they become the voices of authority for people. If there are only certain people at the table, the show is edited for consensus and time, and those asking the questions have an agenda, it presents a faulty construction of the state of the world. There were some interesting points made but I'm so leary of mainstream media supposedly critiquing itself.

All things being said, I'm still going to watch it again tonight : )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moya Moya!!!!

hey there girl! I ran into danielle at hastings over break and she told me about the "little" things you have been up to; )
good gracious girl..can i just say that i am super impressed and proud with what you are accomplishing?! i just wanted to say a quick hi and i would love to talk with you about your political views.
shilpa

MB said...

Hey Shilpa!!

I was wondering what happened to you! What is going on in your world?

moyazb@gmail.com

jb said...

I stayed up way past my bedtime last night to catch three of the ego trip race a rama's...I was intrigued but maybe not that surprised.
You broke down alot of the issues I had with it as well and I must concur aaron mcgruder was droppin knowledge...

the issue with most cultural production these days is that it wants to make folks (and the folks that matter though a diverse group never seem to include black women) feel good and in attempt to make them feel good say little or reinfornce stereotype....that whole asian man black women thing was so terrible which is not to say both groups arent desirable and might make good connections but it was such a dismissal of the issue at hand. It was like nobody wants either one of y'all so you might as well hook up.