So it was revealed that the 'ville kids, or at least one of them, reads the journal and the blog. Apparently my post new year's comments created quite a stir though no one addressed it publicly. I have to admit when I read it again, it was quite vicious. I'm not usually that vocal about racial incidents, particularly not things that happen in Fayetteville. For the most part I do what young black people learn to do when they grow up in all white environments and I pretend I didn't hear or see whatever it was that was offensive. I suppose I should speak up at the time but it makes people uncomfortable and draws attention to the fact that our collective color blind bubble is just that and the pop back to reality isn't so pleasant. It's weird now to know that I have a miscegenated audience and I really hope it doesn't affect my posting.
2 comments:
I don't know exactly how to articulate my question, but i guess this is as good as it gets:
Does it hurt black Americans more that a rich white guy in the suburbs is listening to racist music (and we're not talking about the best of the kkk here, this is hip hop) or that they themselves are listening to that same music?
-that villain blog spy
Excellent question!
I think they are both equally problematic because it comes to be how people see others, in the case of the white suburbian, and it becomes how people see themselves in the case of the black consumers. I feel like hip-hop, rather comercial rap, becomes white people's sole perspective on black people especially when they don't know that many or any IRL. Similarly, for black people who have limited access to other ways of seeing themselves, images become reality.
Post a Comment