Monday, January 24, 2005

feelin' good feelin' great, feelin' great feelin' good how are you?

So I am finally out of this depressing funk I've been in for the last couple of days. Physical illness depresses my spirit; it makes me ill in other realms too. I was trying not to put that out into the ether though. As much as they say misery loves company, I like to play out my own melodramas alone because it makes it that much more dramatic.

At any rate, now I'm happy! It seems like I may get into grad school after all, a prospect which I was unusually pessimistic about before. I talked to my friend Corey from this summer about making a book, a compilation of the hopes and goals of the young brown people from the south of this nation to remind our mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, etc. That we know there is still work to be done, that de facto segregation is not that different from de jure, and that we still need guidance. I also told someone else about my new thesis topic and it was well received. Now all I have to do is write it.

Oh and we interviewed Dazon today for our documentary. I didn't think it was possible for me to admire that woman more than I already did but after today I do. Did you know that she has taught women to give themselves self gyno exams?! That before Eve Ensler was even thinking of the vagina monologues Dazon was teaching women, around the world, how to examine their own cervixes for cancer? That before roe v. wade was passed she was working with a group that published illegal texts to help women give themselves safe and sterile abortions?!

Yeah so today was a good day!

No comments: