so today i went to the first social gathering for my dept., a dinner at a thai restaurant in the dec.
I was the last to arrive (i underestimated the drive) and i decided to sit by Danica, the other new black girl in the program. Also a spelman grad, class '01 as well as the recently retired miss georgia. She's cool people as are the rest of the people in the department. conversation was easy and not too awkward. I was pretty quiet though. Not really jumping into the fray as much but i'm sure things will be different tomorrow.
Now off to watch the VMA's so we'll all have something to talk about in the morning.
3 comments:
congrats honey. please tell danica i said, 'howdy' and grab/pass on email addys for me please. we're the same class ya know...i didn't know she was interested in the great, wide world of women's studies. love, me.
i'm sooo jealous that there was/is 'another black girl' in your cohort.
yeah tell Danica i said hello too. and be very encouraged that there is another black girl and that your dept had a social gathering. no need for me to get into my west village nightmare.
got yr message 'bout Luda. I thank God everyday i was born woman and black (word to Dr. Gayles from whom I heard this) but being a man like pimpsta Luda would be hellaciously empowering, i think. My soul probably wouldn't be right but everything else would. Pimpin' all over the world?!?
PS-In like a year I won't be a feminist anymore. It's too stressful.
Post a Comment