Sunday, June 05, 2005

I'm 22!

I don't feel any different.

Amy and the foreign exchange student staying at her house saw the longest yard. Suzan, the exchange student, remarked "Why do black people talk about themselves like that?"

why do we?

references to "slave feet", the DL, and a problematic reference to brother Malcolm are just a few of the questionable jokes in the film. I'd expect more from Chris.

But do we really think this does nothing to the psyche? nothing to how black children feel about themselves or what they aspire to be? I bet I sound like I'm on some C. DeLores with this but i'm so sincerr.

why do we and is it really ok?

2 comments:

jb said...

Now you know that slave feet joke was bladder malfunctioningly funny but you're right black people are mean to each other. This meanness elicits fond reminsces as well as disdainful huffs and not enoughs.

MB said...

didn't hear the slave feet joke, it was just relayed to me. I think it's so interesting that slavery is up for jabs. the holocaust isn't. i know we laugh to keep from crying but do others know that or do they think we are just laughing?