Thursday, March 03, 2005

I'm about to get raw!

Dear Diary,

I am now officially a mad black woman! I've been so invested in rejecting this title b/c it had been assigned to me I never thought it might be applicable. Now it is and I'm claiming it, not reclaiming it but using it of my own volition to serve my own agenda. I'm about to be on a Michele Wallace type "rant" so read on with caution! I can not for the life of me understand why black male comedians dress up like black women for a laugh. That's not funny! It's ludicrous (which I can't even spell now b/c of luda)! We won't support Don Cheadle in a movie about the continuing pain of our people in the supposed "motherland," but we will go out in droves to make diary of a mad black woman the number one movie in America?! Do you understand how f*cked up that is? tyler perry has caricatures of us on screen and we are supporting it; you can't convince me that white people were going to see madea on opening weekend.

As a film version of the oh so popular black church plays, it tries to offer up a message of morality and Christian values as well as entertain. Preachers took entire congregations to see this movie! In my cynical conspiracy theory believing head this is just another example of how the black church is being co-opted by the right. The prosperity gospel and increasing attacks on homosexuality are new to the sermons of late but they do nothing to speak to the real issues of the congregation. As Dr. Stanley put it, the church has become a corporation as opposed to a hospital for those in need. But the hospital has been a corporation in this country for a minute, so I guess that move in the religious sector was inevitable as well.
I'm not mad at my girl Elise, she can act and apparently these black church movies are the only movies with majority black casts getting made right now, despite halle and denzel breaking through the glass ceiling three long years ago. But seriously, can black people get some decent roles in Hollywood? Can we grow up thinking that being a filmmaker is an option? Can we be techies? Can we get someone i.e. spike or who ever to financially support black people tryin' to go into film/tech school? Can we want to write screenplays?I didn't see the oscars, but I heard enough of the fall out to know that chris's comedy may have been misinterpreted by whites and blacks alike. What was supposed to be a satirical poke at the oscars detachment from regular folk, came off to many, including myself, as a jab at black people's inevitable unculturedness. He didn't comment on the fact that the films nominated are usually not wide released, that they don't normal have black people in them either. I know as a black person I'm supposed to be crunk about jamie winning for ray, but I'm not. You can't tell me that jamie was better than don chedle, you can't tell me if jamie wasn't the token black friend that Hollywood wants to have he still would have one. I couldn't believe that he took tom cruise to Harlem to kind of show him around the neighborhood. What is that?! Like the ghetto's a safari or something.

Further still this war on images of black people is unending and we aren't even critiquing it anymore. We have reached bamboozled proportions and people are laughing!! As jalylah says, if you set it up as a supposed satire, then people feel free not to question it which is absolutely ridiculous! The more I think about race-o-rama, recent SNL skits, etc. The angrier I get. Just b/c you have black people involved doesn't mean it isn't racist.

Ali called to tell me 20/20 was doing a segment on colorism. We tuned in and were outraged. John Stossle began by saying, "Did you know that some blacks discriminate against other blacks?" what?! This comment assumes both an all white audience and that white people didn't event colorism in the first place. If there wasn't differential treatment based on skin color, there wouldn't be colorism. He talked to students and black actors who spoke about how that plays out in Hollywood, light skinned blacks get professional type roles while dark skinned actors play crackheads and gang members. But this is of course another indication of how white people can be implicated in colorism too, b/c clearly black people certainly aren't casting agents if we make it into the industry at all. Where is the NAACP on this? Doesn't anyone else see the ways in which our image is being constructed in the national media? And these aren't videos, this is supposed to be journalism!!

I saw a commercial for Zulu ringtones that had an old school caricature of an African with a bone in his hair and big lips and eyes. Where is the aclu on this? Am I the only one seeing this?

I can't comment on halle in "Their eyes were watching God" just yet b/c I had to tape it. But I'm going to hazard that my blogging sister fecundmellow is on the right track.

I feel like I'm really about to be on some turn the TV off b/c really this is just too much for me. I feel like I'm screaming and no ones listening. Maybe I will write some letters, and sign them "from an actual mad black woman." Maybe . . .

7 comments:

summer of sam said...

you've said a lot here. a whole lot. part of me is convinced that the reason why such things like diary..., et. al. are allowed is because capitalism works so well. meaning, there are enough black people in alleged positions of power (oprah, russell simmons, etc.) that white men don't appear to be the perpetrators anymore. oprah can get away with what she does because she's a 'poor girl from mississippi'; simmons can do whatever her wants 'for hip hop'. these things become smoke screens (or bread and circuses?). people aren't savvy enough to realize that capitalistic endeavors by people who look like you are still capitalistic endeavors.

i'm not a marxist, but my point is that we allow these images partly because many of us are distracted by 'black owned' 'black produced', etc. and since folks are doing so well winning oscars and whatnot, our investment in collectivity merely allows one to chalk up such awards as progress for the race.

(but race-o-rama was funny as shit.)

MB said...

totally agree. Capitalism is really killing our community and putting a black face on something helps. We had a meeting with a representative from BET and of course they sent the Black man to defend the company, not the white man who get payed off of all of that (thank you kanyeasy).

Anonymous said...

I don't know that embracing this "mad black woman" craziness is the way... in any way. We've been mad for a long time... but really? halle and denzel broke through the glass ceiling. I don't know if I can beleive that. There are still roles that Halle can't play, including black ones (i.e. thier eyes were watching God). I don't know that Halle can make it beyond the meek tragic mullatto, and sexy bond girl. denzel, while i agree he's able to do his own thing a lot more than other black actors... the academy still can't give him decent props-- so I'm waiting on that glass to crack.

but back to the real. for sure these medea plays (and now feature film) are evidence of some tragic shift to the right. its a sad but tragic truth. we need to catch bush saying nigger so when can get the community back on track.

MB said...

my sarcasm doesn't come off well on the net. I def. don't think denzel and halle did anything but reinforce what we've tried to get away from. I'm all about us not acknowledging the ceiling at all, why do we need the academy to tell us denzel can act?

But yo i feel you on the bush tip : )

Anonymous said...

What is wrong with black people just supporting each other plain and simple without tearing each other down. Isn't there enough criticism coming from every other direction without having to be cut down by our own as well. Success for black people is hard enough without having to criticized at EVERY turn. There should be some santuary among your own to celebrate our success. Have you actually seen the movie or any of his plays? Or is your criticism based on something you read or heard? Live a while longer little girl and you will find out what life is really all about. You're still pretty young yet and looking for the world to be a perfect and fair place, which it will never be. You have to pick your battles to make the world a better place. You cannot fight them all.

MB said...

b/c you don't support people when they are doing you a disservice.

Yes I do a lot of criticism here but that's kind of the purpose of my blog. Anonymous, you don't think that theses issues are a problem? That for the sake of not tearing people down we should tolerate images that do just that by locking black people into archaic stereotypes?

You have such a defeatist attitude. Just b/c the world isn't fair doesn't mean you don't still strive for equity. Jim Crow wasn't fair but we didn't just say, oh c'est la vie . . .

I appreciate your posting Anonymous but next time I hope you feel empowered enough to leave your name and please don't call me a little girl. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone here seen the movie? That seems to be a question no one has been willing to answer.