So I'm at this conference, which is great! expanding my thinking and now i feel like i have a real project. i'm not just saying things anymore not only that but i'm saying things that are adding something new to the conversation! But i really want to know when we (so called progressives) are really going to be about the real redistribution of wealth. I can't say I'm tired of talking about it, or that I'm ready to give up my privelege, but i do know that the process needs to be expedited.
And now for something completely different, i'd really like to talk with someone who has heard b'day, specifically upgrade you and irreplaceable and i can't find any black people who have heard it! Please can't I find someone to deconstruct B with me? Am i only one that finds her lyrical (p)ro(e)gression awe inducing? Bills to Independent women to cater 2 u to upgrade you to irreplaceable? The choice of the tracks (why is she coming so hard on upgrade you and irreplaceable sounds like - at the end kind of looks like- an athem in the vain of we are the world/heal the world)? The gradual erasure of her black features, personality, and size juxtaposed against her increasingly over the top, erractic, behavior in videos? Is her non-existant personality and act of resistance that protects her privacy? Are her lyrics just words or do they reveal things about her and jigga's relationship? Does it even matter that she has no personality in "real" life?
Pop Culture, my obsession!
3 comments:
I've heard her ablum..alright I confess I've even downloaded about 5 of her new songs. It is quite a suprise to hear these songs from her. Its very contrary but then again maybe not. Beyonce I think purposely does not reveal her personality much. But what an Ego this girl has and then she presents herself as a lil humble southern girl. Wait she does have an alter-ego named "Sasha" she has mentioned in a few interviews..hmm..?She's well put together , she smart- she puts out what she feel most young women want to hear. She is coming hard I guess she want's some street cred? The videos are sooo over dramatic but thats what most love about her. The passion she brings to her craft. But maybe she's always on stage. Is'nt there a dsm-iv diagnosis for this ?? All "great" or shall I say "super sucessful" performers have more than a few glitches she conceals hers well.
Well im a black girl and ive heard irreplaceable because one of my really good friends luuuvs that song and wont quit playing it.
her name is moya, what a coincidence. :))
but its cool- resentment is much better. In fact im playing it now. Its so good i can actually sing along to it and thats an accomplishment!
i wish i could talk B lyrics with you but i have no idea whats shes singing so it would be lost on me. Perhaps i need to give up nad wear that hearing aide
i haven't heard b-day yet. in truth, i was dissuaded from making the purchase when i learned that she only spent two weeks on the project, couple that with the first two singles sounding very similar (that attempted "organized chaos" that falls a wee bit short of the organized part) and i'm no longer interested. i'm all for the brilliance in artistic fervor that comes on the first try, but she doesn't come across as that kind of artist. i hope to be proven wrong, but right now - no, no, no.
Post a Comment