My ethernet doesn't work in my room so I haven't wanted to post but i gotta talk about the conference.
So here were the highlights:
Joan, Tricia and Dr. Beverly Guy-Sheftall holding it down on a panel- I don't really even have words to describe how phenomenal this panel was. I really need a tape of it because it was the hotness! Only BGS can say "whorish white women" and make a salient point about racism in the media. They held it down!
Jalylah- Not only is Jalylah one of my closest friends, she's brilliant!! She made the case for a "hip hop script" one that has "conscious" and misogynist artist alike convinced that hip hop is inherently male. I don't think some people in the audience were quite ready for her, but the high schoolers got it! Jalylah also got Invincible on the mic!! How hot was that?!
Fred Hampton Jr. - He ran up on stage at the end of the last panel, which I was on. I was a little shook
Rocafella is my hero- She's the one person in the conference who really got to the everyday feminism that the academics were speaking about. Roc rocks the fellas, demystify breaking for women and girls, and generally makes her knowledge accessible for anyone who wants it. She's living the communalistic ideals we speak about in feminism and I'm not sure she even calls herself a feminist.
Countless shoutouts from conference panelists made me hella nervous to speak and so i was a lot more reserved than normal. I was feeling the pressure and didn't speak as eloquently as i wanted, but that was minor when compared to the overall conference.
Shout out to summer, aja, liza, gwendolyn, sapphire, Camille, and Brittany. Nice to meet you all!
3 comments:
thanks for the shout out, homie. hope you enjoyed the chi.
Peace Moya. We've been adding on since the conference - check out the listserv at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiphopfeminism/ and please join if you'd like.
Also peep www.goodforagirl.org, a blog/safe space for women.
And God willing, we'll see you at B-Girl Be in Minneapolis June 2 - 5.
Blessings,
MJ
hey moya-
just harassing you. I was at the conference too so i have nothing intersting to say...
But you did a great job, it takes a lot to get in front of all them people.made that trip on the greyhound worth it.
Blessings,
Alii
Post a Comment