Tuesday, October 05, 2010

For T

I saw you seeing me.
I saw you dark skinned black girl across the room of white and light.
Flash of a smile that held more then we could say
not there, not then

thought I’d get around to talking to you later
thought we’d shoot the shit
discuss our teenage love of white boys that didn’t love us back
our slip into the sensual sumptuous embrace of our queer selves and lovers
see each other at parties and share the same secret smiles of understanding

But you are gone
were gone before i could make good on the “later” I’d resigned our talking to

i think about you though.
we weren’t close but you are remembered.
not just by your (white) friends
but by a reflection.
I see you, still, in the mirror

i hope we can still talk, much much later than i had planned.

No comments: